One of my favorite ‘wins’ at Walt Disney World was getting a perfect score on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. I had always wanted to achieve that elusive score at the bottom of the scoreboard – Galactic Hero!
You might think it sounds a little silly, but it’s really kind of a high to see that score flash 999,999.
Needless to say, after I achieved it we celebrated!! My toddler didn’t care, but I was pumped.
How to Become a Galactic Hero at Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
So how can you become a galactic hero? Here are some general tips to use throughout the ride:
- It will help if you are in control of the joystick so that you can point the car exactly where you need it to be.
- Your gun will fire a red laser, which must hit the Z on the target to earn points. If you ride early in the morning or late at night, there will be fewer people. It will be easier to see your laser if there are fewer lasers.
- Not all targets are worth the same number of points. Unlike the Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters in Disneyland, they are not different shapes. You have to know the location of the high scoring targets in each room.
- Your laser gun will make a special noise when you hit a 100,000 point target.
- Keep firing! Shoot your gun the entire time you are on the ride. Even if you think you have finished with a room, turn the vehicle around and keep shooting until you can’t shoot any more.
The only way for you to become a Galactic Hero is to know the location of the targets that will get you a lot of points. Here are the highest scoring points in each room:
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Room One
- On the left side, aim for the giant red robot’s left hand (right if you’re looking at it). This target is worth 100,000 points. Remember, you can hit targets multiple times, so keep shooting until you’re out of range.
- Turn around your ride vehicle and shoot the center of the giant claw.
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Room Two
- This room is huge with tons of scoring possibilities, but aim for the volcano at the very back of the room. The highest target at the point of the volcano will score 50,000 points every time it is shot.
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Room Three
- On the right side, you will see Zurg in his spaceship. At the bottom of the center of the space ship, there is a single target. That target is worth 100,000 points.
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Emergency Escape Hatch
- There are no targets in here, but keep shooting! You will earn some points just for shooting.
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Final Scene
- There are no high scoring targets and you won’t be able to spin anymore, but keep trying to hit around Zurg’s spaceship if you haven’t already scored 999,999.
I also watched this video, which gave me a good visual cue for each of the targets.
Here is the breakdown for the final scores:
- Level 1 Star Cadet: 0 – 1,000
- Level 2 Space Ace: 1,001 – 10,000
- Level 3 Planetary Pilot: 10,001 – 100,000
- Level 4 Space Scout: 100,001 – 300,000
- Level 5 Ranger 1st Class: 300,001 – 600,000
- Level 6 Cosmic Commando: 600,001 – 999,998
- Level 7 Galactic Hero: 999,999
If you do become a galactic hero, make sure you tell them at the checkout counter in the gift shop! Sometimes you’ll receive a certificate or a celebration pin. They also announce your victory to the whole shop – it’s really fun!
It might take you a couple of rides to get everything pulled together in order to become a Galactic Hero at Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. What do you think? Will you become a galactic hero? If you’ve already achieved it, share your picture with us on Instagram by tagging @dreamplanfly!
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY LIBRARY OF FREE DISNEY WORLD PRINTABLES!
Sign up to receive FREE Walt Disney World printables, available exclusively to subscribers!